Overall I loved it. I thought that the Wife of Bath was PERFECT, and I assure you I’m a hard sell on that one. She was just perfect, with the right jollity, stream of consciousness style, and earthy suggestion of sexuality. One thing I wasn’t feeling was their imagining of the Pardoner as only two shades more masculine than a drag queen (I prefer a more ambiguous gelding or mare, though I did enjoy the Pardoner-Summoner interplay). I was also struck (nearly blind) by an unnecessary mooning at one point in the Merchant’s tale (why?), and the quite obvious swyving that was taking place in the pear tree. Yes, yes, it’s necessary, but it was a bit graphic. And I’m not even that squeamish!
But this was not near so graphic as Part I the following night. It was not near as good in terms of the way the tales were organized and performed, and let’s face it, however great an idea it may have been, leading off with the Knight’s Tale is a bit boring for today’s audiences. And the Miller and Reeve’s tales were reduced to much more sex and farting than I remember. And I really don’t need to see that on stage. I think they are far more effective if I’m allowed to just imagine them, rather than seeing the Reeve’s caricature of a miller and his family blow up their sheets. I will say that the woman playing the Prioress was absolutely fabulous – perfectly prissy as the Prioress, and fantastic as a series of hags, especially the one in the Wife of Bath’s Tale. And the Cook had a great stutter and was just as disgusting as I had hoped he would be. They also cleverly worked in the Monk’s Tale, sort of. . . . The Monk was continually mocked by his companions as he attempted to tell his tale and was cut off. Finally, they allowed him to take the stage. . . before the lights went out for intermission. When they and we returned, most characters were sleeping, and he was telling his final princely fall. This was really clever, I thought at lest.
Yet still, I don’t think there was a good way to make certain tales accessible to modern audiences, or at least, that way was not found by this production – the Knight’s Tale, the Prioress’s Tale, and the Man of Law’s Tale are hard sells. The Nun’s Priest’s tale had some innovative use of puppetry (which I found more appealing than the Manciple’s tale of a man dressed as a white crow and then a filthy, moulting black crow), and the “loudest scene in medieval lit” was really well done – actors assumed the voices of the dogs, cows, pigs, bees, chickens, horses, and all other barnyard animals who raise up a cry. It was great. There was also onstage puppet chicken sex.
Oh, and they also incorporated “other” medieval lit where they could – in songs or references. For instance, the Miller’s hende Nicholas sings the lyrics “I have a gentle cock” while waiting to seduce Alisoun. Clever, though I don’t think he’s a) the monk who wrote the thing, or b) talking about the rooster who wakes him up every morning. . . . just a guess.
Overall, I wouldn’t have missed it. But I do think that if I had seen Part I first, I’m not sure that I would have been as excited about seeing the next part. Thank goodness I saw Part II first, or I might have said “forget it” after Part I, which was not nearly so well done as a whole. Part II made it all worthwhile, and I enjoyed every minute of it. And the other audience members had really positive reactions to both parts, so if it gets people excited about Chaucer, I’m all for it!
Thus far, trip highlights: Gower’s Tomb, and The Canterbury Tales, Part Deux.
Anyone game for staging selections from the Confessio Amantis? :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment