Monday, May 15, 2006

Packing my bags

Yes, I have something to write about at long last! It's big news!

I'm leaving the Bend for sunnier, rainier, and then snowier climes.

First to the Huntington for research in Cali. . . then to England for research and to lose my tan . . . and then. . . I have just received a residential fellowship in a lovely town situated directly near TWO great lakes, so the snowfalll should be twice what we get in the Bend right? Whee!!! Anyone have snowshoes that I can borrow?

So I'm packing everything into storage over the next week or so, trying not to panic about everything I have to get done, and trying to say at least a temporary farewell (I'll be back in August for a bit) to all the good friends I have made here.

I feel like I just got situated HERE, and now I'm going! But I'm really excited about the opportunities, if sad to be leaving everything and everyone that has made the Bend bearable and even occasionally outstanding over the past 5 years. Will I go insane without my support system? Only time will tell. . . .

As one of my friends mentioned, now I'll have to actually POST more blogs to keep people updated. Oh, the pressure! If you follow along, gentle reader, you may be able to trace precisely the point at which I go insane.

But right now I have to go pack!

And go see "that wretched movie" as one of my friends fondly refers to the Da Vinci Code. Mom's here, helping me pack up my life, and she's read and enjoyed the book, and we're going to go see "that wretched movie" (I feel like Fr. J.J. talking about The Vagina Monologues, except that unlike him, I can actually pronounce the title of the event in question, rather than just muttering/mumbling the middle word of the name).

Until later, I'm more mystified than usual. . . .

No comments: