Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Huntington ROCKS

If anyone ever gets a chance to visit the Huntington Library, it is absolutely GORGEOUS. Beautiful gardens -- they kick you out of the library at lunchtime (can't have those rare items floating around w/o a hovering librarian/gargoyle figure to keep an eye on them). There's a cafe in the "Rose Garden" adjacent to the kickass "Japanese Gardens" where there are the BIGGEST KOI I have ever seen in my life.

And the manuscripts are delicious. I'm waiting for one now and thought I'd take a second. I may try to post pictures sometime in my vast "free time." I think the most important thing I will learn this summer is how to juggle 3 projects at once. I'm supposed to be finishing one chapter, reworking an article for publication, and doing the research for a chapter I haven't even started yet. I have a deadline for the article, a deadline long past for the chapter, and an expiration date at the library, so I have to be doing that research. Crazy stuff, man.

But I can't think of a prettier place to be freaking out (the Japanese and Zen Gardens have quite the calming influence).


PS. If anyone wonders why my blog profile says I'm now "Homeless" it's because almost all my worldly possessions (except my carryon and my laptop) are crammed into a storage unit in South Bend, and I have no home. I mean, sure I'm renting from a nice lady who's got a "Jesus People Inside" sign on her front door, so I at least have a home base for the next 10 days, but then I go officially homeless, before I go off to England and then Rochester. Whee. And Texas to visit my folks sometime in between. And South Bend to officially say bye to everyone I missed when I was too freaked out about moving my junk into storage to really say a proper farewell. But until probably September, I believe I'm officially homeless.

No comments: