Monday, March 12, 2007

I love you, WorldCat ... or do I?

So today I found that in addition to telling me of the existence and location of all books and microfilms that I could possibly need, WorldCat goes one step further to earn my love.

It's called "CITE THIS ITEM." It makes me very happy. Click on that link, and presto! It gives you every possible style: MLA, Chicago, APA, Turabian, etc. Can someone please tell me what is Turabian and who the
hell uses it? Seriously? Please? Is it just a nonsense word in some pretend language like Esperanto? Or Hildegard-speak?

Now, I do have to quibble with their Chicago style, because they totally have the date misplaced. This error makes me sad, WorldCat. The online guide
clearly shows the date as the last thing prior to page numbers. It's like you've lied to me, WorldCat. I thought your love was pure and you were leading me to some great height. And you were only setting me up for a nun-like session of getting my knuckles rapped by some dissertation advisor who has memorized the CMS.

Ah well, I'm still glad to have a shortcut to typing out some
ΓΌber-long titles. And after Word changed rex magno to rex mango on me, I have not trusted it since. I mean, who wants to read about the Mango King? Ok, so I in fact do, but I bet my committee would prefer not to. One day, I shall write a children's book called The Mango King, and it will be all about a dyslexic medieval prince who can't read Latin and all the other boys make fun of him for calling himself a Fruit King. So he has them hanged. Or maybe it should be about a scribe who gets nearly beheaded for insulting the rex magno by calling him a Fruit King. But just at the moment of near execution, the Mango Queen steps in and saves his life by teaching the Mango King to have a sense of humor. Oh, and mercy. That too. Then they do the Rumba and drink magno mango daiquiris.

Anyway. So at least WorldCat has saved me head/finger aches on titles like this one:
Albertani Brixiensis Liber consolationis et consilii ex quo hausta est fabula gallica de Melibeo et Prudentia, quam, anglice redditam et The Tale of Melibe inscriptam, Galfridus Chaucer inter Canterbury tales recepit. Seriously, I'm not making that one up. And unless ILL can help me out, I'm not reading it either. Should any of you lust for the Latin version of the Melibee, you can find it here online: Liber Consolationis. You know you want to.

Just nobody steal my Mango King book idea!


No comments: