Friday, March 30, 2007

Men in Hats: Rants on the Deterioration of Writing

I have nothing to add this week. Seriously, nothing. BUT, I would like to draw everyone's attention to this classic post (and memorialize the link for when I need a good laugh):

Men in Hats, or I'm Glad I Don't Teach


Priceless. I am particularly fond of "could of" instead of "could have." I've seen errors like this run "ramped" in student papers. It seriously makes me wonder if no one reads these days? Or do they only read the internet pages of illiterates? Seriously, if I were in charge of Microsoft Word, any time "could of" or "should of" are strung together, I would have the computer issue an electric shock to people through the keyboard. Or at least underline it and say "Seriously, what the hell? Did you leave out a word or did you honestly think OF is a verb?" on the spelling and grammar check. My attitude is probably why Bill Gates won't listen to me, but I do think certain strings like that should be earmarked as popular errors and noted as ripe for potential stupidity.

More proof of the old adage that whenever you think something is idiot-proof (or anywhere approaching protection from idiocy), someone goes and builds a better idiot.

And I can't even touch the topic of the thought process or lack thereof that produces this kind of writing. Sigh. At least this is fake and funny rather than real and really sad.

No comments: