Saturday, May 19, 2007

Tap, tap, tap. . . Is this thing on?

Anyone out there? It's been AGES since my last post -- things got busy. Presentation, paper, presentation, desperately now trying to finish a chapter (that I started seriously writing on two days ago).

But, here's an update, nonetheless. I'm moving back to the Midwest in two weeks! Yay!?!? I'll be sad to leave Rochester, no doubt, but it will be nice to be back at home base, at least until the mullets and other nutters start to oppress me again.

Last weekend I was in the Midwest for the famed Kalamazoo. It was special indeed, marked by many "never-before" events.

1. I was exhausted but never drank too much or stayed out too late (even Saturday night, I only stayed up late).

2. I met and spoke briefly with my "grandfather" -- my former Tx State advisor's former advisor from Brown. It's handy because he's working on exchanges of literary works between England and France during the Hundred Years War. Guess who's just starting to get into that topic and might need a helping hand? Yep. I guess it runs in the family.

3. I cast about my "dissertation spiel" more times than I care to recount, and it got easier each time. Practicing for the market, it's scary.

4. I read Old French. Aloud. In my paper. To an audience of people who work in Old French. And to my knowledge I only slightly mispronounced one word. And come on, it was "Behaingne."

5. I watched my friends Lex and Christine perform a frighteningly choreographed dance to Journey's Don't Stop Believin' as a bunch of us sang and laughed around them. It was a combination of charades and dancing, and it was hilarious. This would have definitely been the funniest moment of the dance if not for . . . .

6. You all know him (or maybe you don't): the older gentleman who dances up a storm all night long with no one but himself, just moving around the dance floor. And with pretty decent moves. He was ON, and our new friend "Chris of York" -- who had been regaling us with his impressive dances all night -- danced with and mirrored him. They were having a GREAT time. I pointed out to Chris that in about 40 years. . . that will BE him. I only regret that I did not get the older gent's name. But I will have him on my radar for next year. That will be my goal: Who is that guy?

Well, today marks the last weekend of the Rochester Lilac Festival, about a 5 minute walk from my house. I'm going to get cracking on that last chapter (I have apportioned out an amount of text that I've said I will write about each day -- manageable, and if I feel like it, I can do more; if I don't, I have already done something). And then I think I'll go enjoy the lilacs!

Mark your calendars: June 2, movin' is on.

No comments: